Energy saving in gyms and fitness centres
Some of the biggest challenges in modern times are the energy crisises and the astronomical rise in obesity in both adults and children – 20% of the entire UK population is now estimated to fall into the obese bracket and we are now the fattest nation in Europe.
This is where gyms have a BIG part to play in making a change to society and leading us all to a brighter future.
How gyms can help to tackle the energy crisis
Fitness centres promote good nutrition and regular exercise, so, how do we use this to help us tackle another major crisis too?
We’ve put together this list of energy consumption reduction tips to help you to tackle this issue, save yourself some money and make yourself an attractive concept to any aspiring gym-goers.
Here’s our tips for energy saving in gyms and fitness centres.
5 Energy consumption reduction tips for gyms
Tip 1: Reduce the cost of running your computers
Computers are an essential part of any business, including gyms and fitness centres. They are at the centre of our CRM databases and we would quite frankly be lost or buried in paperwork without them.
So, here’s some tips on how to reduce the amount of energy your business computers use:
- Reduce the brightness of your computer monitor to save up to 20% of the energy that it uses
- Remove your screensavers: Having a screensaver keeps your monitor brighter for longer when you are not using it, meaning that it wastes valuable energy
- Use Blackle, the eco-friendly version of Google. This was created with the specific intention of reducing the amount energy that Google searchers use – Click here to view Blackle
- Use smart extension leads with inset timers to turn all of your equipment off at closing time
- Turn off your monitors over night: If left on, you could waste enough energy to print 500 pages according to the Energy Saving Trust
Tip 2: Water efficient shower heads
New water-efficient shower-heads use technology that can produce water flows that feel far higher than they actually are, so you don’t have to compromise on experience. This is an easy way to save both water and energy.
They are most effective on power and mixer showers with a high flow rate. However, please remember that you should not attach a low flow showerhead to an electric shower as this could cause possibly damage to your shower unit – Energy Saving Trust.
Tip 3: Lighting
Good lighting is essential for your gym if you want to avoid taking the accident book out of the cupboard. The good news is that you no longer have to compromise of brightness in order to use energy efficient alternatives.
Exchanging all of your traditional lightbulbs with more efficient lighting solutions could save you £3 per bulb, per year from a reduction in the amount of energy that they use and the fact that they often last longer than their alternatives, so you have to buy less bulbs.
Tip 4: Heating
If your gym uses an electric heater, you are automatically creating twice as much greenhouse gas and are spending up to THREE TIMES more on running them.
You can also save money on your gym heating by reducing the temperature of your thermostat. Reducing this by just one degree could save you over £100 each year!
Tip 5: Energy generating gym equipment
Upgrading your gym equipment to modern, energy generating machinery can cost a lot in the short term, but will benefit your business in the long term. Here’s why:
- Eco-friendly gym equipment like ARTIS uses 30% less energy than conventional machinery
- Fitness equipment from ARTIS also has the capacity to generate 100w of energy per hour
- It uses to run both itself and charge and power a battery called a Dynamo Holding Cell which in turn feeds the energy generated back into your building
An easy way to save money on energy at your fitness centre
Energy consumption reduction techniques are useful, but they can sometimes cost you more than you are prepared to pay to implement.
A great way to raise some capital for this, or just create some easy savings, is to discover whether you could be paying a lower price for your energy by completing a comparison with Exchange Utility.
Many businesses are overpaying their energy supplier because they have gone out of contract and rolled onto a standard, higher rate energy tariff. By simply comparing new energy contracts through Exchange Utility, you will gain access to the tariff prices for a range of UK energy suppliers.
By doing this, you could instantly save 40% on your energy bill spend – What are you waiting for?